For the last week I have been keeping a journal of everything I eat/consume. Although my main meals change from week to week, my goals stay the same, and my dedication to clean eating and balance remains a constant in my life. Here is a list of my goals when it comes to clean and balanced eating:
- Eat every 3-4 hours
- Eat protein in almost every meal or snack to keep my blood sugars leveled, and my muscles fed
- Eat clean foods 80% of the time – and not worry the other 20% of the time
- It took me a long time to learn this, but eating not only often, but enough food was essential to my success in keeping the weight off.
- Drink 2-3 liters of water each and every day (the only liquids you will see on my food journal are ones that were not water or herbal teas – otherwise, I was drinking these two things everyday, all day long)
Friday January 25th
- 8:00am – Nature’s Path cereal with almond milk. Coffee with Bailey’s
- 11:00am – Handful of mixed nuts, two dates, and ½ Daryl’s protein bar
- 1:00pm – Homemade Minestrone Soup – lean beef, brown rice noodles, white kidney beans, potatoes, loads of veggies and organic chicken broth.
- 4:00pm – ½ Grapefruit + hard boiled egg
- 7:00pm – Chicken Almandine – sautéed carrots, celery, chicken, and slivered almonds on top of brown rice with some Coleslaw dressing and seasoning for flavour + ½ Grapefruit for ‘dessert’.
Saturday January 26th
- 9:00am – Ezekiel English muffin with butter, and two fried eggs. Salt and pepper to flavour. Coffee with Bailey’s
- 11:30am – Big glass of Almond milk mixed with ½ Bolthouse Mocha protein drink(pre-workout carb snack)
Workout: 30 Minute UgiFit Workout
- 1:15pm – Healthy Faux Pizza – Ezekiel wrap, pasta meat sauce, turkey pepperoni, goat cheese. Broiled for 2-3 minutes.
- 4:00pm – ½ Grapefruit with a couple almonds
- 5:00pm – 11:00pm – appetizers, rice Krispy squares dipped in a chocolate fountain, + 6 beers (At a wedding, so I made this night my cheat meal)
Sunday January 27th
- 10:00am – 2 Nature’s Path waffles – one with butter and 100% maple syrup, and the other with natural peanut butter ( to get the protein) + 1 black tea
- 1:00pm – ½ Daryl’s protein bar
Workout: 1.5 hour walk
- 3:00pm – Dried mango + a couple almonds (to slow down the blood sugar spike from the mango)
- 4:00pm – Potato & Leek Soup with chicken and 1 perogi
- 7:00pm – Healthy faux pizza – Gluten free corn tortilla, meat sauce and goat cheese + watermelon
Monday January 28th
- 8:30am – Nature’s Path Oatmeal with slivered almonds, ½ banana, and flaxseed. 1 black tea
Workout: 30 minutes of shoveling
- 10:30am – Big glass of vanilla almond milk for pre-workout meal
Workout: 30 minute GroupFit workout
- 1:00pm – Homemade chili – beans and lean ground beef are protein sources
- 2:00pm – Couple pieces of mango with almonds
- 3:30pm – ½ Daryl’s protein bar
- 6:00pm – Chicken Stir-fry – chicken, onion, yellow pepper, broccoli, bean sprouts, mango and grated ginger
- 9:30pm – raw veggies
Tuesday January 29th
- 7:30am – 2 pieces Ezekiel toast with natural peanut butter and honey
- 10:45am – raw veggie with garlic hummus
- 12:00pm – Homemade chili
- 3:30pm – Mixed nuts with 3 dates
- 6:45pm – Mixed nuts
- 7:45pm – Brown rice pasta with ground beef and pasta sauce + ½ Daryl’s protein bar
Wednesday January 30th
- 8:30am – Plain Greek yogurtwith psyllium fiber cereal, honey, cinnamon, cayenne pepper
Workout – 30 minute GroupFit/UgiFit workout
- 11:00am – Protein Shake – almond milk, Vega Protein Powder, banana, frozen blueberries
- 1:00pm – Arugula salad with walnuts, pears, oil vinaigrette + 3 meatballs
- 3:30pm – Handful of raw nuts
- 5:30pm – Beef, celery, tomatoes, onions, spinach, brown rice, beef broth, and a dollop of sour cream for sauce in this concoction that tasted like the inside of a cabbage roll.
- 10:00pm – Small bowl of Greek yogurt with honey
Thursday January 31st
- 8:00am – Nature’s path oatmeal with walnuts and raisins + black coffee with maple syrup
- 10:45am – ½ Daryl’s protein bar
- 1:00pm – ½ Daryl’s protein bar + Greek yogurt
- 3:45pm – ½ Daryl’s protein bar
- 5:25pm – ½ Daryl’s protein bar
- 8:30pm – calamari with two dipping sauces + spring salad w/ beets, carrots, goat cheese, oil/vinegar dressing. 2 beers, and sip of Bellini.
NOTE: Today I was driving around from appointment to appointment from morning time, until dinner out with the girls. I did not prep enough food to take with me for the day, and got caught eating Daryl’s protein bars all day because they were accessible. Normally I would try to balance this better, and as a result I found myself very hungry when I got to the restaurant. Therefore, this is not a good example of eating in my opinion.
After going over my own food journal this week, I realized the copious amounts of beef I consumed. Wow – you’d think I was on my period or something!!! If I was to critique myself, I would suggest aiming for more of a protein balance between red meat, chicken, and fish the following week.
Showing you the difference of liking and loving your body,
ashley dale roy